1 lemon, preferably organic : the zest of the entire lemon (⅔ tablespoon) and the juice of half the lemon (½ tablespoon)
1 tablespoon (15 g) of good quality Dijon mustard
1 free-range egg
¾ cup (150 ml) of sunflower oil or any neutral vegetable oil (grapeseed, soybean, avocado)
1 teaspoon of regular paprika powder
⅛ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon of flaky sea salt
¼ teaspoon of pepper (I used green pepper for its vegetal lemony undertones)
- Start by zesting the entire lemon. Then juice half the lemon. Set aside.
- In a mason jar or an immersion blender cup, add the Dijon mustard, egg, lemon zest, paprika powder, ground cayenne pepper, flaky sea salt, pepper and sunflower oil.
- Plunge the immersion blender. It must be laying at the bottom of the cup. Pulse 3 times, about 2 seconds each without moving the immersion blender. This step starts the emulsion.
- After the 3 pulses, hold the power button and blend continuously by moving the immersion blender up to the surface. The mayo mixture will instantly thickens keep blending until all the ingredients are well combined (about 10 seconds).
- At this stage, add the lemon juice.
- Blend for 10 more second until the lemon juice is well incorporated. It will liquify the mayo a little, this is normal.
- Enjoy with French Fries and a glass of Dry Pinot Gris (Pinot Grigio)!
- Pulsing 3 times without moving the immersion blender upward is what starts the emulsion. This is a crucial step, do not skip it!
- It is important to ensure that the emulsion is stable before adding the lemon. This is why the lemon juice is added only at the end. Make sure to follow this process for the best results.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Immersion blender
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 213.5 mg
- Fat: 42.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 46.5 mg
Keywords: homemade mayo, mayonnaise, lemon chili mayo, 5 minute mayo