¼ cup (45 g) of butter
¼ cup (40 g) of all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) of full-fat milk
⅛ teaspoon of pepper
¾ cup (150 g) of Bleu d’Auvergne (or any good quality Blue Cheese), cut into cubes
4 free-range eggs
1 sheet of all-butter puff pastry
This recipe is meant for a 9.5-inch (24 cm) tart pan.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- In a pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- When the butter is bubbling nicely, add the flour all at once. Using a whisk, stir vigorously.
- Lower the heat to medium intensity.
- Add the milk and whisk continuously until the sauce has thickened about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the stove. Add the pepper, the cubes of blue cheese and stir well until the cheese melts.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
- Add the egg yolks to the bleu cheese mixture and whisk until combined.
- Beat the egg whites until they form peaks.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the bleu cheese mixture.
- In a 24 cm (9.5 inches) parchment-lined tart pan, line the all-butter puff pastry.
- Pour the bleu cheese mixture in and fold the puff pastry edges.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and risen (the filling will rise similar to a soufflé).
- Enjoy warm with a glass of chilled off-dry Chenin wine!
I used Bleu d’Auvergne in this recipe, as I live in the incredible region of Auvergne. But feel free to use any good quality Blue Cheese: Stilton, or even creamy Gorgonzola!
Be gentle while adding the egg whites to the batter. Fold them using a circular motion up and down. The secret is not to overwork the batter to keep the Soufflé Blue Cheese filling extra light and fluffy!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 247 mg
- Fat: 25.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7 g
- Protein: 9.2 g
- Cholesterol: 162.1 mg
Keywords: blue cheese, Bleu D'Auvergne cheese, soufflé, savory tart, French recipe