For the béchamel sauce
1 spring onion, thinly chopped
4 cups (1 liter) of milk
⅓ cup (70 g) of butter
½ cup (70 g) of all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon (2 g) of sea salt
⅛ teaspoon of green pepper
For the layers
2 large organic zucchini (or 3 medium)
5 and ½ cups (470 g) of Caciocavallo Silano cheese, grated (alternatively, use Provolone cheese)
1 cup (100 g) of Grana Padano cheese, grated
2 cups (40 g) of fresh basil leaves
4 tablespoons (40 ml) of extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
Make the béchamel sauce
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is bubbling nicely, add the thinly chopped spring onion and cook until translucent.
- Then, add the flour all at once and stir energetically with a whisk until well incorporated about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/3 of the milk and stir.
- Add another 1/3 of the milk and keep stirring.
- Add the rest of the milk and stir continuously for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and a pinch of green pepper to taste.
- Set aside while roasting the zucchini.
Roast the zucchini slices
- Preheat the oven to 480°F (250°C).
- Wash and cut the edges of the zucchini.
- Using a mandolin or a sharp long knife, slice the zucchini lengthwise, into 0,2 inches (0,5cm) thick slices.
- Line the zucchini slices onto a parchment-lined oven tray.
- Brush each slice of zucchini with extra-virgin olive oil (or massage them with your fingers if you don’t have a baking brush).
- Roast them in the oven until golden (about 15 minutes), then set them aside.
- Repeat the process as you will need to make several batches to roast all the zucchini slices.
Assemble the Parmigiana
- Turn the temperature of your oven down to 350°F (180°C ).
- Grease a 10 x 13 inches (35 x 26cm) baking dish with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Layer slices of roasted zucchini to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
- Layer the creamy spring onion béchamel on top.
- Add a generous layer of grated Caciocavallo Silano cheese.
- Add a generous handful of fresh basil leaves.
- Repeat the operation one time.
- Finish by sprinkling all the grated Grana Padano cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and super fragrant.
- Sprinkle a generous handful of fresh basil leaves just before serving. Enjoy immediately with a glass of chilled Fiano di Avellino!
Adding flour all at once to melted butter is called a “roux”. It is a classic French cuisine technique used to thicken a sauce. Make sure the butter and flour mixture cooks for 2 minutes and bubbles nicely before adding the milk. It will make your béchamel deeper in taste and extra creamy!
- Prep Time: 45
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 769
- Sugar: 12.3 g
- Sodium: 1561.7 mg
- Fat: 56.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9 g
- Protein: 44.5 g
- Cholesterol: 123.4 mg
Keywords: zucchini parmigiana, parmigiana bianca, basil