5 cups (500 g) of Porcini mushrooms (fresh or frozen) cut into 1.2 inches (3 cm) pieces
half a medium white onion, finely minced
1 and ½ cups (300 g) of Carnaroli rice (alternatively you can use Vialone Nano or Arborio rice)
½ cup (125 ml) of dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
¼ cup (50 g) of unsalted butter
¾ cup (70 g) of thinly grated aged Parmigiano cheese (you can alternatively use Grana Padano or Pecorino cheese)
50,7 ounces (1,5 liters) of good quality vegetable broth
3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
Start by preparing all your ingredients in advance, as you’ll have your hands busy when constantly stirring the risotto during the cooking process.
- Prepare the 50 ounces ( 1. 5 liters) of vegetable broth by following the instruction on the vegetable bouillon cubes package;
- Cut the mushrooms into 1.2 inches (3 cm) pieces;
- Thinly mince the onion;
- Thinly grate the Parmigiano Reggiano using a zester;
- Measure the rice, wine, and butter.
Once all the ingredients are prepared
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a large pan over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and fry them until golden brown. Stir regularly to allow the mushrooms to brown evenly. When they are done, remove the mushrooms from the heat and set aside.
- In a sauté pan (alternatively, you can use a large pot), heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the minced onion and sauté over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the rice and stir for 3 to 4 minutes to coat the rice with olive oil and onion.
- Pour the wine and stir and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and stir until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Start adding the broth one ladle at a time. From this point on, you must consistently keep stirring. Wait until most of the water has evaporated before adding the next ladle of broth (but do not let the rice dry either.)
- Repeat the process and cook for 15-20 minutes over medium-low heat and taste regularly to check the consistency of the rice. The rice should become creamier and creamier.
- A few minutes before the “al dente” perfect consistency, add the mushrooms, two ladles of broth and stir for 3 more minutes or until perfectly cooked (al dente, slightly firm in the middle).
- Add the butter and the grated parmesan and stir.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley.
- Enjoy with a glass of Pomerol or your favorite Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon blend!
The secret of a good risotto is to never stop stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 1328.7 mg
- Fat: 27.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.7 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 46.6 mg
Keywords: mushroom risotto, vegetarian risotto