4 and ¼ cups (500 g) of all-purpose flour
2 and ¼ teaspoons (7 g) or one packet of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon (4 g) of sugar
1 teaspoon (4 g) of salt
2 tablespoons (30 ml) of extra-virgin olive oil
1 and ⅕ cups (300 ml) of lukewarm water
- In a mixing bowl or a stand mixer’s bowl, add flour, instant dry yeast, sugar, salt, extra-virgin olive oil, and lukewarm water.
- By hand or using the mixer’s hook, knead the dough for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth. The dough is wet and sticky, this is normal!
- Cover the mixing bowl with cling film and let the dough rise for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size. Place the mixing bowl in the warmest spot in your kitchen to quicken the rising process.
- Once the dough has risen, remove the air by gently punching it with your fist.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly greased with olive oil. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge for another 15 minutes (it will harden the dough and make it easier to shape).
- Then, transfer the dough to a flat surface and cut the dough into 6 evenly sized balls (around 4.2 ounces / 120 g each). No need to add flour, the olive oil at the bottom of the bowl will make it easy to manipulate the sticky dough.
- Using your hands, stretch a dough ball into a 6-7 inches (15-20 cm) wide circle.
- Heat a non-stick pan or a skillet over medium flame. Make sure to use a lid or a large heat-resistant plate to cover the pan. Covering the pan with a lid allows you to keep the steam in and make the flatbread super fluffy.
- Cook each flatbread in the pan with the lid on for about 2 minutes on each side, until slightly coloured and still soft.
- Repeat the process until all the flatbreads are cooked.
- Enjoy warm!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 55
- Category: bread
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: Middle-Eastern
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 392 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 68.9 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: flatbreads, skillet baked