7 ounces (200 g) of comté cheese (preferably matured for 12 months or older)
1 cup (225 ml) of water
¼ cup (65 g) of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon (5 g) of sea salt
1 cup (130 g) of all-purpose flour
3 free-range eggs
Start by preparing the comté:
- Cut 4.6 ounces (130 g) of comté into tiny cubes (around ¼ inch / 0,5 cm large).
- Grate the remaining comté with a cheese grater.
Make the gougère dough:
- Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C).
- In a saucepan, pour the water, salt, and butter and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted and the preparation is simmering, remove the pan from the heat and add the flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is roughly combined.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat and stir energetically with the wooden spoon for 4 minutes. Stir continuously and don’t worry if a layer forms at the bottom of the saucepan, this is normal.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl (or the mixing bowl of your stand mixer) and let the preparation cool down for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one until well combined. For this step, I recommend using a wooden spoon or the flat beater tool of your stand mixer. Make sure the previous egg is well incorporated before adding the next one. You should end up with a smooth, silky dough.
- Add the Comté cubes to the dough and stir until combined.
Bake the gougères:
- Using a spoon, scoop out small balls of dough (around 1.2 inches / 3 cm) onto a parchment-lined oven tray. Sprinkle some grated Comté on top of each gougère.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven until risen and golden. Gougères can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Enjoy with a glass of your favorite Champagne or sparkling wine!
Drying out the dough for 4-5 minutes in the saucepan is essential for the gougères to rise and develop nicely once baked in the oven. Do not skip this step!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 475
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 1480.6 mg
- Fat: 28.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8 g
- Protein: 26.8 g
- Cholesterol: 205.7 mg
Keywords: gougères, cheese puffs, French appetizers, savory puffs