½ cup or one stick (115 g) of unsalted butter, softened, at room temperature, plus more to grease the pan
1 scant cup (180 g) of light brown sugar
4 lemons (preferably organic), zested + ¼ cup (60 ml of juice)
3 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (250 g) of fresh Italian ricotta cheese, at room temperature
1 and ⅓ cups (180 g) of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon of flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Grease an 8.5 x 4.5-inch (21.5 cm x 11.5 cm) loaf pan with room-temperature butter.
- Line with a piece of parchment paper the same length as the bottom of your pan. Make sure to leave parchment overhangs on both sides to help remove the cake from the pan (see picture above in the post).
- Using a handheld mixer, mix the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest and mix until well incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs and beat well until combined. (It is okay if the mixture looks a bit separated.)
- Add the ricotta cheese and lemon juice and beat until just combined, about 10 seconds.
- Add the flaky sea salt, and sift the baking powder and flour.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently stir until just combined and no pockets of flour remain. Do not overwork the batter of the cake will lose its lightness.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes until risen, cooked through, and golden in color.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan.
- Let it cool down completely. It’s ready! Enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee.
Ingredients’ temperature is key to getting the best result.
- Ideally, take butter, eggs, and ricotta 30 minutes before starting baking.
- Chop up the butter into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes and let it sit at room temperature while you prepare all the other ingredients and preheat your oven.
If you forgot to take the ingredients out of the fridge in advance:
- Cut the butter into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes, then place them in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave at low power (about 20%) for 20 seconds.
- Place the eggs in a bowl filled with warm tap water for 5 minutes. Pat them dry with a kitchen cloth, and they’ll be good to go.
To make sure the cake is cooked, insert a toothpick. If it comes out with moist crumbs, you are good to go.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven-Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 28.2 g
- Fat: 17.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.6 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 116.1 mg
Keywords: lemon ricotta cake, Italian lemon ricotta cake, moist lemon cake