For the whipped Feta dip
7 ounces (200 g) of sheep’s milk Feta cheese
¾ cup (200 g ) of full-fat sheep’s milk yogurt
1 tablespoon (15 ml) of extra-virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon of green pepper
For the spicy roasted mushrooms
4 cups (300 g) of fresh oyster mushrooms (chestnut mushrooms, white button mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms work very well too), cut into 1.2 inches (3 cm) pieces
¼ cup (55 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons (5 g) of cumin powder
2 teaspoons (5 g) of coriander powder
2 teaspoons (5 g) of smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon of green pepper
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
For the garnish
a generous handful of freshly chopped coriander, to sprinkle on top
the zest of one lemon, to sprinkle on top
extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle on top
- In a food processor (or using the chopper bowl of an immersion blender), add the Greek yogurt, feta cheese, one tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon of freshly cracked green pepper. Blend for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. Transfer the whipped feta dip to a bowl and store it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for at least one hour (the longer, the better). It will allow for the texture to harden.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together extra-virgin olive oil, crushed garlic, smoked paprika, cumin powder, coriander powder, green pepper, and sea salt. The oil and spice mix is ready!
- Cut the mushrooms into 1.2 inches (3cm) pieces.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms along with the oil and spice mix and fry until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir regularly to cook the mushrooms evenly.
- To assemble the dip: in a shallow bowl, layer the whipped feta dip (making swirly waves with the back of a spoon). Sprinkle the roasted spicy mushrooms and don’t forget to drizzle the cooking oil for extra flavor!
- Sprinkle the zest of one lemon and a generous handful o fresh coriander on top.
- Finish with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Enjoy with pita bread, flatbreads, or toasted slices of sourdough bread and a chilled glass of dry (Trocken) German Riesling!
- The mushrooms need to be cooked over high flame for about 10 minutes to become crispy and “meaty”. They will release water, this is normal. Keep frying until the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are golden and crispy. Being patient with the mushrooms will ensure extra umami flavors as well as a depth of texture and taste.
- I recommend making the Feta dip in advance and storing it in the fridge in an airtight container for at least one hour (up to the day before). The longer the dip sits in the fridge, the creamier the texture. Just straight out of the blender, the texture will be a bit liquid, this is normal. Storing it in the fridge will help harden it.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 638.1 mg
- Fat: 35 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
- Protein: 15.2 g
- Cholesterol: 51.1 mg
Keywords: whipped feta dip, spicy roasted mushrooms, oyster mushrooms