one broccoli head, with the stalk sliced and florets cut
1 cup (230 ml) of soy-based cooking cream
¾ cup (35 g) of fresh dill, thinly chopped, plus extra to serve
½ teaspoon of white pepper
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 and ½ cup (225 g) of orzo pasta
extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
¼ cup (32 g) of unsalted toasted cashews, roughly chopped, to serve
- Start by washing the broccoli head. Remove the stalk and cut it into 0.2 inches (0.5 cm) thick slices. Cut the florets.
- In a large pot, bring well-salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 10 minutes, until tender at heart. Keep 230 ml (1 cup) of broccoli cooking water.
- Meanwhile, thinly chop the fresh dill.
- Drain the broccoli and transfer it to a food processor. (Keep the pot aside to cook the orzo later.) Add the soy-based cooking cream, the cup of cooking water, chopped dill, white pepper, and sea salt.
- Mix for 5 minutes until smooth and foamy. The texture should be light like a mousse.
- Cook the orzo al dente, according to the package instruction. Drain and transfer back to the pot.
- If the cashews are not toasted, toast them in a frying pan for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Remove them from the pan when they are golden and roughly chop them with a knife.
- Add the dill and broccoli sauce to the orzo and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately with extra chopped dill, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and some toasted cashews on top.
- Enjoy with a glass of chilled Grüner Veltliner from Austria!
- Using the broccoli stalk is a great way to add more depth to the cream as well as prevent food waste. Make sure you slice the stem in 0.2 inch (0.5 cm) slices to fasten the cooking process.
- Make sure to mix the broccoli and dill cream for long enough (5 minutes is optimum) for it to be airy and light. If the cream is not mixed enough, it will be more liquid and less mousse-like.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: European
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 618 mg
- Fat: 20.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.8 g
- Protein: 9.2 g
- Cholesterol: 33.9 mg
Keywords: orzo pasta, broccoli and dill whipped cream, toasted cashews